Monday, October 11, 2010

"Getting Sidetracked"

With the best of intentions last night I started on my gingerbread man but then realized that I needed to use just plain embroidery floss instead of crewel embroidery floss.  I thought the crewel embroidery floss would make him look quite special but half way through I changed my mind.  I didn't like the look.  So I got sidetracked and  watched Everybody Loves Raymond instead of picking out what I had done and starting over.   But I do have a picture of what I did this morning.

For the gingerbread man and woman I'm making I needed some red felted wool.   I had bought wool a couple of weeks ago but hadn't got around to felting it yet.  I like to felt wool almost as much as I like to dye fabric.  There are just a couple of things to watch out for when you felt wool.  The most important one is that it is 100% wool because otherwise it won't felt.  The other thing is that it does shrink so if you are buying a specific amount for a project and you are going to felt it, it would be a good idea to buy a little more than you think you'll need.  Then when it shrinks, it won't matter.

I had some additional small pieces of wool that I hadn't felted yet so I threw them in to the washer also.  These are different shades of red and pink so as you can tell the fabrics clash pretty good.  But anyway this is how I felted these fabrics -- or any wool fabrics actually that I use.

I take the easy felting route and use my washing machine.  Some women felt wool by hand and that is a little different set of directions.  Both work equally well.  But for me I always use my washer.  For this amount of yardage I used the setting for the small load and set the timer for about 10 minutes and filled the washer with hot water.  I changed the temperature setting for the rinse cycle to cold water and then let the washing cycle complete itself.  

The next part is just putting the fabric in the dryer and drying them on hot for about 20-30 minutes depending on how much fabric is in the load.  Mine this time was 25 minutes.  Then after the fabrics had dried, I used a steam iron and pressed all my wool fabrics.  And that's all there is to it.  I now have some really pretty red (different shades) wools to use in my projects.  I really like this one.

I have to work today so I won't get any more done on my projects.  But tomorrow I hope to get quite a bit done since it is my day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment